The 69th Academy Awards were broadcast on March 24, 1997. This was still during an era when the Oscars were a big event, one of the two or three annual telecasts everyone would watch. The ratings were actually down this particular year, to around forty million viewers—an almost ten percent decrease from the previous year. The drop in viewership was widely attributed to the nominees, a lot of which were obscure to general audiences. The nominated movies included Fargo, The People vs. Larry Flynt, Shine, Sling Blade, and Secrets and Lies. Best Picture went to The English Patient, which failed to gross even $75 million domestically.
There was one fĂȘted
movie, however, that stood out in this “Year of the Indie Film.” It was the
only movie from a Hollywood studio to receive any major nominations: the
popular and well-reviewed Tom Cruise vehicle Jerry Maguire. I had, by that night, not seen it yet. I’m not sure I’d
even heard of it, which meant I was certainly in the dark about the rest of the
nominees that year. But despite not knowing any of the movies, I still watched
the entire ceremony, which shows you how much cachet the Oscars had at the
time.
The night began
memorably, with Jerry Maguire picking
up the only award it would win: Best Supporting Actor for Cuba Gooding, Jr. He
took the stage and proceeded to give one of the best Oscar acceptance speeches
of all time, permanently cementing an appearance in all future Oscar highlight
clips. I had never heard of him up to that point, but his ebullience and
display of unfettered happiness won me over as it did everyone else who was
watching, both on tv at home and live in the auditorium. It was an energetic
introduction to what was historically a bloated, turgid affair, the Oscars not
usually offering minute-by-minute excitement.
As they continued to
dole out all the awards—some of them quite obscure, with categories I still to
this day don’t understand the parameters of, let alone how to judge excellence
in (eg. “Best Sound” vs. “Best Sound Effects Editing”)—it
slowly dawned on me that making a movie required contributions from a whole lot
of people. I knew this intellectually, I suppose; how could one not when every
movie ends in an interminable scroll of names? But I, like most people, had
always ignored the end credits of movies, and in doing so overlooked an
important point: not only were movies made by an army of people, a lot of them
could be called “artists” in their own right. They all added their particular creative
contributions to a final artistic product. Seeing master artists win awards in
each of the disciplines a movie required changed the way I saw movies, I’m sure.
I had always
respected stories. More than respected, I treasured them. From an early age
they were a major component of the joy I derived from life. I remember as a
young boy, maybe eight or nine years old, being a member of a mail order book
club that would send books to your house every few weeks. I would be so happy
when a new shipment arrived. I devoured everything they sent, and I ending up
loving a lot of them. I still remember the characters and scenarios and covers
of those books (though some of the titles unfortunately elude me today). I
remember one time getting two books at once. One of them was part of a series
featuring a recurring cast of characters who were my age and who got in little
adventures that I loved reading about. As I got to know these characters better
with each successive book, it was fun seeing them interact and be thrown in
situations that accentuated their individual personalities. It was like hanging
out with friends, so it was always a good time even though the adventures they
got into were about as inconsequential as you could possibly imagine. One of
them was about going to a roller rink and getting stuck with wrong-sized
skates. Another one revolved around an unsuccessful attempt to bake brownies. I
can’t for the life of me remember what this series was called, but I enjoyed it
tremendously. The other book I got that day was about a trio of teenage boys
out on their dirtbikes. It started as a frivolous day of fun, but they soon got
embroiled in some thrillerish scenario, witnessing something they weren’t
supposed to, or something like that. I remember a relative—I think an uncle—was
over my house the day these books came in and he mentioned that the dirtbike
one looked more interesting, no doubt due to the relatively serious and
realistic art on the cover, which contrasted sharply with the cartoon imagery
of a gang of third graders on the cover of the other book. I told him I was
most looking forward to reading the one with the characters I already knew in
it, though when I finished reading the dirtbike one I liked it as well. The
titles of both books are just beyond my memory’s scope and so are
impossible to track down today, but if I ever come across them again I know it
will feel like meeting up with an old friend.
Looking back it
strikes me that I tended to gravitate toward stories that were at least
somewhat rooted in reality. I enjoyed outlandish stories too, going through a
pretty heavy sci-fi/fantasy phase in my early teens, like every other boy
seemingly did. But the ones that had characters who were my age going through
relatable situations, those were the ones I liked the most, or at least they
stuck with me longer than the fantastical ones did. Sometimes these stories
taught me how to think about things, or defined for me the meaning or
parameters of a feeling or emotion or concept. I still remember a passage in
Judy Blume’s Superfudge.
In it, fifth grader Peter Hatcher is going to the movies with a group of
friends, with his annoying little brother, Fudge, tagging along. They run into
a girl he has a crush on going to the same movie with her friends. She and
Peter end up sitting next to each other in the theater. What follows is one of
the most indelible pages I’ve ever read. With apologies to Mrs. Blume
and her estate, I’m just going to quote it without permission
here:
When the picture
started, Joanne offered me some of her popcorn, and when I reached into the
carton, our fingers touched. Then I offered her some of mine, so our fingers
touched again. By that time my fingers were covered with grease, but who cared?
I began to relax, concentrating more on sitting next to Joanne than on the
movie, but maybe that was because I’d already seen it.
Then, right when
Superman was about to kiss Lois Lane, I felt something icy cold slither down my
back, and I let out a yelp.
Fudge was hanging
over the back of my seat, with a handful of ice cubes from his Coke. “Hi,
Pee-tah. . . .”
“You
little . . .” But there was no way I could catch him. He was already racing up
the aisle.
“Here
. . .” Joanne said, handing me a Kleenex.
“Could
you do it?” I asked. “I don’t think I can reach
all the way down my back.”
Joanne mopped off my
neck and then my back. And when she’d finished, she put her hand close to mine,
and the next thing I knew we were holding hands. Hers was soft but cold.
When the movie ended,
Joanne, Sharon and Elaine walked home in one direction, and we walked home in
the other.
My god, you have no
idea how much those 213 words wrecked me. Peter was slightly older than I was
when I read the book, and at a time when I was cultivating what felt like my
first meaningful crushes, it was like getting a glimpse of where it could all
lead. The whole thing felt like a consummation to me. It showed me that all
these dizzying feelings I would get when I looked at a girl I liked could be
transformed, sublimated into physical and observable evidence of my adoration.
This was as revelatory to me as anything I’d ever heard or read.
Just holding hands in a darkened theater became for me the apotheosis of not
just young love, but love in general. I still have a thing about holding hands;
the act still retains an outsized significance for me. The way people in their
twenties romanticize Gatsby is the
way I’ve
continued to romanticize Superfudge—or
that one passage at least.
It’s dangerous, or at
least foolhardy, to learn life lessons from something that’s clearly labeled “fiction.”
The gleaned bits of wisdom and insight found in the words and actions of
fictional characters often prove to be untenable in the real world. Stories are dramatized and too clean to map
to real life in a one-to-one correspondence sort of way. That was the thing
that tripped me up the most. I find the core of a lot of what passes for
emotional truths in the best fiction to be mostly accurate (or I’ve convinced
myself it is anyway). But the circumstances that reveal these emotional truths
are rarely replicable in real life, or require such high stakes or costly
sacrifice that one doesn’t even think of copying a character’s actions. (We’ve
seen characters in movies and books die for/because of love, hate, sadness,
joy, fear, bravery, ambition, boredom . . . the list of feelings, emotions,
qualities, and attributes a character will die for to prove they (ie. the
f/e/q/a) are real is endless.) I’ve found that even a story’s low stakes
scenarios—say, for example, touching a girl’s hand while reaching for popcorn
at the same time—are hard to recreate in real life, at least with the same
clean perfection found in fiction. Honestly, this disconnect between a story’s
perfect sequencing of events and the real world’s messy, herky-jerky rhythms is
one of the big reasons I write stories myself: it’s the only place I can make
everything go exactly right.
So for whatever
reason, be it timidity or social awkwardness or an overactive imagination or
just the day-to-day of a sibling-less existence, I found myself, in these
pre-internet days, turning to fiction for clarity on all the stuff I was
feeling inside. I probably did it in the same spirit that people a hundred
years ago had had when they read realist novels to get a sense of what Africa
or India was like. Back in those times there was probably an understanding that
a novel attempting to capture a geographical area would be imperfect, full of
elisions and exaggerations and outright lies, but also a trust that the sense
or spirit of the place would be accurate. The same sort of simulacrum-like
quality all fiction has when dealing with the measurable facts of our physical
world can also be present in its approach to the emotional elements in a story.
Fiction will show you a representation of love and hate and grief and all of
that stuff but it will usually be in a perfectly constructed form that can feel
very different than experiencing those emotions out in the wild. It took me a
while to learn this, because I’m the unfortunate combination of a slow learner
who is also very naive. Like a person who confuses the map with the territory,
I thought for the longest time that made-up stories featured exact
representations of human emotions and behavior. Even when I eventually realized
they didn’t, I still trusted them, and secretly
harbored a belief, one that I can still tell I possess to this day, that even
if a story is not the way it really is, it’s often the way it
should be. And if that’s the case, then it should be something to
strive for, instead of being dismissed as unrealistic. Stories hold up ideals,
it’s
up to us to want to live up to them. I still find myself copying the actions of
characters in stories, hoping to eventually attain that idealized notion of
love, courage, success, etc.
And so we come back
to Jerry Maguire. Like I said, I had
not seen the movie and had not been aware of its holiday season release. Its
catch phrases had not yet been cemented into the culture’s lexicon, though it
was a very popular movie even at that point; by the night of the Oscars it had
taken in over $140 million dollars at the box office—an enormous sum,
especially for a romantic comedy (it’s still the fourth highest-grossing
romantic comedy of all time). Although Cuba’s win would be the movie’s only
victory that night, it was nominated in most of the major categories and so was
featured often throughout the broadcast. When they played a clip for its Best
Picture nomination spotlight, the Oscar producers decided to cut right to the
emotional high point of the movie, spoilers be damned, and they played the “You
complete me/You had me at hello” scene. It was the first bit of the movie I had
ever seen—a hell of a contextless introduction. And yet I was mesmerized.
Despite not knowing the events leading up to this living room speech and being
oblivious to the stakes involved, I felt my eyes well up as I watched this
90-second clip. I had never seen such pure emotional force compressed in such a
compact way, in a scene that also felt grounded and real, not over-the-top.
There was no swelling music underneath, the setting was normal, unremarkable,
familiar, there were awkward pauses and interruptions (paralepsis?) and
rephrasings that mimicked real speech. The whole point of the scene was an
emotionally affecting expression of love and devotion that was reciprocated in
front of witnesses—it didn’t get much better than that. It was love at first
sight, and I needed to see the rest of the movie as soon as possible.
I rooted for Jerry Maguire for the rest of the night
as another romantic powerhouse, The
English Patient, swept up most of the major awards. Scenes from that movie
didn’t hit me as hard, or at all even. The setting was too foreign, too remote,
the actors too exotic with their accents and what struck me as prim period
acting. Even now I view English Patient
with a detached quality, though I appreciate its craft and romantic sweep. (Not
to mention the performance of Juliette Binoche, in the running for my favorite
actress.) But the remove with which I watch that movie now was amplified by a
factor of one hundred back in 1997. It seemed like a staged production, English Patient did, while Jerry Maguire seemed like real life.
I had to wait two
months for the VHS release of Jerry
Maguire. When it came out, I immediately bought a copy and proceeded to
watch it over and over again all summer. I probably averaged five viewings a
week, easy. By the time I started attending college that fall, I could
essentially recite the entire movie from memory verbatim. I remember being
stuck in a car during orientation, waiting for a pre-scheduled event to occur
with nowhere to go (a familiar burden ameliorated in the present day by
internet-connected devices that were non-existent back then), and, to pass the
time, I began recreating as much of the movie aloud as I could, starting with “So
this is the world and there are almost six billion people on it.” I think I got
as far as “These fish are coming with me” before the other person in the car
told me to seriously stop or there’d be painful repercussions.
It’s not much of an
exaggeration to say that Jerry Maguire
became my guide to life. I was sure the notes I took from it would help me
navigate through incipient adulthood. It seemed to have so much to teach me
about love, devotion, loyalty, and principled living. I practically studied it
the way people study highly moral fiction like The Alchemist or A Pilgrim’s Progress or something, taking
from them direction on how to live. And I wasn’t entirely wrong to do so—if you
could perfectly model your life on a Cameron Crowe protagonist, full of his
trademark rectitude and probity and just good guyness, you would do very well
and be thought of as just a sterling example of a human being. Of course, his
characters set standards we corporeal human beings could never achieve. But we
oh so wanted to, and for two hours or so Crowe made his characters so relatable
in their journey that you felt for sure you could be them. Which was such a
trick on Crowe’s part—a generous, open-hearted trick, but a trick nonetheless.
On one level, it’s easy to create “relatable” characters: just make them
lovelorn, down on their luck, a bit homely or just not the most attractive
people around to reflect how we see ourselves, at times, and just sit back and
watch the audience ID with these characters en masse. But Crowe had us men
believing we could be John Cusack, or Tom Cruise, or Orlando Bloom, or Matt
Damon, et al. How did Crowe pull this off? Part of it due to his unwavering
commitment to show male vulnerability on the big screen, but he also made them
the slightly less glamorous characters in the movie, which gave them the
illusion of being infinitely more relatable while still being super glamorous.
Crowe’s protagonists were the sports agents (not the superstar athletes), the
magazine editors (not the celebrities in the magazines), the reporters (not the
rock stars they were covering), the shoe designers (not the people getting paid
to endorse the shoe), etc. This was an important aspect of his movies,
actually. It gave his films an undeniable vitality. It’s easy to create a
character that looks like an everyman, it’s harder to place
that character in a context and story that people would be psyched to watch and
that would entertain and not depress. Crowe’s movies look good. His characters
look good. He’s a slick Hollywood director, and—let’s face it—things always
look better in movies bankrolled by old studio money. But the world Crowe
depicts is a good one, and the lives he shows us are lives worth living. It
would be fun to be a Cameron Crowe character, all the while dealing with loneliness
and self-consciousness and uncertainty—all the things we recognize in ourselves
and see embodied in his wonderfully flawed characters.
That I also saw in Jerry Maguire a supreme work of art is
also defensible, even now after having watched a couple thousand or more movies
since 1997, some of which are quite serious art indeed. The argument mainly
stems from pointing out that its component parts are done at the highest level.
Jerry Maguire was a high point in the
career of practically every actor in it, not just Tom and Renee and Cuba, but
also Jay Mohr and Bonnie Hunt and Jerry O’Connell. All of them
super talented, and they have not been better before or since. The script is
impeccable, introducing no fewer than four phrases into contemporary American
argot (“Show me the money”; “You complete me”; “You had me at hello”; “Ambassador
of Kwan”). The story’s trajectory is so finely tuned, the highs and lows so
perfectly placed, that there is not a single emotion you don’t feel at the most
perfect, piquant time. Crowe had essentially mastered the romantic comedy at
this point, or, rather, his version of a romantic comedy, which followed its
own inimitable formula. (The only part I would point to as iffy is the amount
of heavy lifting the traveling montage at the end (and Paul McCartney song that
plays over it) is required to do. He’d optimize his dialogue-less scenes in his
next movie.) Crowe’s direction came into its own, no longer exhibiting the
flaws of his earlier efforts. No more uninteresting shots that blunted the
impact scenes like the Campbell Scott and Kyra Sedgewick reunion in Singles, no more neglecting to do
coverage like he did on Say Anything
(vide (or hear) his hilarious audio commentary with Cusack and Skye). Every
funny moment in Jerry Maguire is made
funnier by Crowe’s direction, every emotional moment is more emotional. (That
slow dolly in on Cruise in the living room scene was powerful even in Oscar
clip form, I can attest.) Every other aspect of the production was done equally
well, by the most talented craftsmen and -women in the business. The production
design was impeccable—I’m not sure there’s ever been as many living
rooms in one movie, each with its own personality and feeling. The film was cut
to frame-perfect perfection by the Oliver Stone’s Oscar-winning editor. Betsy
Heimann’s costumes, from the suits to casualware, were exactly what those
characters would wear. Spielberg’s cinematographer, Janusz Kaminski, kept
everything looking as gorgeous as one thought was possible in this world, which
is to say that it remained grounded: each scene looked like you would hope a
scene would look if you were in that scene in real life, and it could if the
sun was in the right spot, if the light hit the wet street in the right way,
etc., i.e. it fit Crowe’s aesthetic: Possible, if you’re lucky.
It is because all
these aspects of production were done at such a high level that I’m not kidding
when I say Jerry Maguire was my
gateway to viewing films as an art form. The way I viewed movies changed
dramatically in 1997. Before then, I regarded them as pieces of pure
entertainment. Things had to be flashy, fun, and exciting to hold my interest.
Movies were pure escapism, a good time out, a theme park ride. I suppose this
was true about the other things I consumed; books and tv shows had to be
similarly engaging. Occasionally I’d watch a movie that was a bit deeper, that
had something going on besides a motive to please. These were movies like Dances With Wolves or Forrest Gump, and were usually longer
and less exciting on a minute-by-minute basis than my usual diet of cinematic
delights. I didn’t mind them, but also considered them inferior to Star Wars, Back to the Future, or The
Goonies, in the same way that vegetables were vastly inferior to almost any
dessert. (As I write this out, I find myself thinking that, given these
examples, there’s actually nothing wrong with this opinion, and today would
still take those childhood loves over most of the prim “prestige”
pictures whose position of moral superiority usually sucks out any sense of fun
or joy or anything that makes a movie enjoyable. Not that Dances With Wolves and Forrest
Gump are the most egregious examples of these kinds of self-congratulatory
movies, but they definitely toe the line.) I remember the summer of 1996 being
a particularly good time for escapism at the theater. My mom and dad and I went
to more movies that year than we ever had previously for some reason. I figure
they thought it was an inexpensive way to get out of the house instead of just
staying in and renting a movie, which is something that was done every week or
so. My parent’s taste at the time was aligned with mine, which is to say
decidedly commercial. There were plenty of weird, interesting movies that we
could’ve sought out during that time frame. On top of the Oscar-nominated
indies, there was Bottle Rocket, Trainspotting, Cronenberg’s Crash, and Stealing Beauty—all movies that would eventually mean a great deal
to me in the future. Instead, we saw Mission:
Impossible and Twister. I also
remember us going to see Executive
Decision that year and my dad being bitterly disappointed that Steven
Seagal dies in the opening scenes. (Seagal movies were a popular video rental
at my house.) My mom took me to see The
Cable Guy because I was a huge Jim Carrey fan. It was the edgiest movie I
saw that whole year, but I just thought it was hilarious and made no real
distinction between that and Ace Ventura.
Like everyone else, I saw Independence
Day, but that was with friends. I remember my English teacher making fun of
that movie, particularly Bill Pullman’s rousing speech at the end that was
intended to galvanize both his troops fighting the aliens and the audience
watching in the theater, a speech my teacher found laughably histrionic. I didn’t
think anything was overly wrong with it at the time. The thing with all these
movies is that not only were they pure entertainment, I also saw nothing in
them I recognized in my own life.
Jerry Maguire was the first movie I took appreciated that
looked like real life. For example, there are living rooms in the movie—a lot
of them, actually—and they looked recognizable. While everything was gorgeously
lit, they looked like some place that existed on earth. The movie required from
me no suspension of disbelief—I was a credulous believer from the opening shot.
Since the movie’s release, I’ve
lowkey fought an inferiority complex about loving the movie so much. The movie
has gotten an unfair reputation of being schmaltzy, a too-starry-eyed love
story, full of catchphrases that were repeated so often that it’s hard to
believe that they ever had real emotional force. On one hand, I shouldn’t feel
embarrassed about it being my gateway movie to “higher” art. Everyone starts
out loving something slick, something that goes down easy and is perhaps too
pleasurable for its own good. Put simply, whoever says their love of cinema
began with a Brakhage film is lying. One could do a lot worse than having Jerry Maguire be their ur-film from
which an appreciation of art blossomed. It is not some tossed-off work by
hacks. The consummate skill on display by every aspect of the production is
something to be respected, if not admired. It is a sterling example of the
highest caliber of film Hollywood can deliver, with the acting, cinematography,
editing, writing, and directing all done at the highest level.
Those who pass it off
as gooey, oversentimental, romanticized tripe are way off the mark as well. The
movie has been consecrated as the standard bearer for modern romantic comedies
for so long that people have assumed it shares with its inferior imitators the
more saccharine trademarks of the genre. On the contrary, the meet-cute with
the two leads doesn’t involve some magically aligned set of circumstances
leaving no doubt that fate (or the screenwriter’s pen) has
preordained our couple to be each other’s perfect complement. In Jerry Maguire, it’s a leap of faith
based on one’s admiration of the other’s integrity, a meet-“I will go with you”
that has equal parts uncertainty and resolve. This is a little hard to see on
the first few viewings, or at least it was for me. When I listened to the audio
commentary Crowe did for the movie roughly five years after the release (joined
by Tom, Renee, and Cuba), he mentioned that the ending did literally have the
couple walking off into the sunset, but there was no telling if the
relationship would last, and a lingering sense of uncertainty remained. I scoffed
at this comment, and passed it off as an artist trying to add a layer of depth
to his film that didn’t exist. But that’s because I was so
invested in their relationship and wanted with every fiber of my being for it
to work out. I saw Jerry’s grand pronouncements in the living room at the end
as a heartfelt romantic gesture, instead of the last ditch effort by someone
who “can’t be alone” and doesn’t “like to give up” it could very well be. There
are plenty of things in the movie to support the idea that Jerry is someone
characterized more by a fear of being alone than he is by being a conduit for
love. The things he said in that living room would be the same words spoken by
a person desperate to keep someone—anyone—around, just so he wouldn’t have to
face the highs and lows of his life alone. He’s like a person who’s drowning:
panicked and thrashing, latching on to the nearest body and taking them down
with him. He’s done it before (“What if we got married?”) and he’ll do it
again. And Dorothy Boyd, that paragon of optimism and hope and unabashed
passion and love, reveals herself in that moment as well, as someone who
possesses that potentially self-destructive trait that often accompanies a
capacity for headlong, loyal, pure, all-consuming love: eternal forgiveness. “You
had me at hello”—depending on who you say it to—is either the most romantic
thing one can say or a powerless admission that will consign both parties to a
life of misery. For it’s obvious by the end: no matter how many times Jerry
screws up, Dorothy will take him back. She—and the romantics in the
audience—are counting on the fact that he’s changed. But people rarely do, and
if he’s still that desperate person hiding under a tenuous veneer of
temporarily-won confidence, he will mess up again. And the cycle will repeat
again, and again, and again. The man incapable of love and the woman who loves
him is a tragedy, in the end. Crowe wisely ends the movie before we know for
sure, but the suggestions have been planted, giving the movie unprecedented
depth for a film that looks every bit like a typical romantic comedy or the
kind of movie that is usually populated with characters whose emotions and
motivations are clear and have unambiguous intent. Jerry Maguire is much deeper than anyone gives it credit for,
including me for the first few years. And I loved it. I am so glad it’s become
a movie that’s grown with me, and I’m pretty close to losing any trace of the
slight embarrassment I had when declaring it an all-time favorite.
No comments:
Post a Comment